Re: Advice/Comments welcome

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 10:06:23 -0700 (MST)

On Wed, 13 Jan 1999, Ole Moller wrote:

> for a TCP_HIT is raising to more than 3 sec at peek-hour). I want to setup
> a second parent-proxy. My idea was to configure the childs with two
> parents, my hope is that this will give me a better service in case one of
> the parent proxys should die. The question is would the childs find out to
> load balance between the two parent proxies? Or should I use the
> round-robin-option on the parents in squid.conf on the childs? If so what
> happens then when/if one parent dies? Would it be an advantage to configure
> the parents as each others siblings?

How about
        - upgrading to a supported version of Squid
        - configuring childs to be siblings
        - not configuring parents to be siblings
        - enabling cache digests on all children and two parents
        - enabling miss_access on siblings (for now)
        - disabling ICP among siblings

I leave comments on failover safety to gurus :)

Alex.