Re: About the cache

From: Thilo Manske <Thilo.Manske@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 16:54:27 +0100

In message <007901be43b8$1fc6d380$0673f4c8@linnen.vetor.com.br>
          "Elza de Mattos Paiva" <elzap@vetor.com.br> wrote:

> I upgraded from version 1.1.22 to 2.1.PATCH2 of squid.
> Then I realized that I had too many misses and very few hits,
> that is, my old cache was not been used at all.
No, it *can't* be used. Squid1+2 use completly different cache
structures (eg. AFAIK squid 2 stores some meta data together with the
object in one file, 1 does not.)

> I read some orientation that to use the old cache I would have
> to run both versions of squid for a while (and do some other
> actions).
One trick is using the old cache as sibling for the new one for a while
or let a skript fetch the content from the old cache through the new
one. Needs generally more work than it's worth it.
(BTW: Don't mix squid 1 <-> 2 cache dirs)

> It would be very nice to keep it, but I do not mind loosing my old cache.
> So my question is:
>
> if I delete the cache/log file and restart squid will my cache be rebuild
> in the same place it is now? will I have any other side effects by doing
> this?
IMHO deleting the cache and log files and then rebuilding the structure
with squid -z is the cleanest solution.
If you have your cache on (a) seperate partition(s) consider using newfs
instead of rm ;-)

And: Don't use your old squid.conf. It's probably better to start a new
file based on squid.conf.default wich comes with squid instead of
patching your old squid.conf to make it work with squid 2.

Bye,
 Thilo.

--
Mir ist mein Signature entlaufen :-(. Wer es findet, sende es bitte an
Thilo.Manske@HEH.Uni-Oldenburg.DE zurück. Danke!