Re: Squid's use in proxying satellite users

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 02:19:15 +0100

Dax Kelson wrote:

> Specifically I need to 1) turn off TCP slow start, 2) have TCP
> not wait for acks, and finally 3) a min TCP window size of at
> least 64Kb.
>
> How do I do 1 & 3 with Linux?

1: Disable the nagle algorithm. This is automatically done on
TCP_NODELAY, but the kernel can be compiled to disable it by default.
(see net/ipv4/Config.in)

2: You can't do that. TCP relies on ACK to keep the transmit window
moving.

3: Enable large TCP windows to get 64K (kernel config option), if more
is needed then edit include/linux/skbuff.h (not tried, but it should
work..)

> Does Squid have support for TCP_NODELAY in the connections to the clients?

Yes, Squid uses TCP_NODELAY on all network connections, both client and
server connections.

---
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker