Re: ENC: Performance

From: Jon Fraser <jfraser@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 1999 18:14:37 -0500

Define slow. With 40 mb cache_mem configured in squid.conf,
you may be paging like crazy. We have 20 mb cache_mem configured
on a 128 meg machine. Squid has stabalized at 106 meg virtual
and 83 meg resident. On our machine, we find we can handle 3-4
page faults/second without impacting performance. When we
were in the 10-20 page faults/second, performance was poor.

        We have a machine a little bigger:

        AMD K6-300
        128 mb
        2 Ultra IDE drives, 3 gb of cache on 1, 7 on the other

    The box is running freebsd 2.2.8 with the ipnat drivers.

    With a peak load of around 17 http requests/second,
    we see typical http hit service times of under 40 ms.
    Cpu load at this level is less than 50%, and the box
    is doing the tranparent redirection as well.

    How does that compare with yours?

    One thing we found is that we have to flush the ipnat
    address maps hourly. Otherwise, we have thousands of
    maps and it takes too long to search them, slowing down
    performance.

    I know someone will bring up using SCSI vs IDE drives. As far
    as SCSI vs UIDE goes, I've seen sustained data rates of
    8mbytes/second and up to 90 transfers/second from our UIDE
    drives. Interrupt utilization seems to be a bit higher than
    scsi, as our IDE drives/controllers can only tranfser 16 blocks
    at a time. So, I don't think that the IDe drives are your
    bottleneck.