Re: ENC: Performance

From: Jon Fraser <jfraser@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 1999 12:20:24 -0500

I wholeheartedly agree with all your comments.
I believe the person only had one drive and my point was
that the single IDE drive was probably not his bottleneck.
But, he didn't state quantitatively what was 'poor performance'.

Our experience with news machines running INN is that
performance is limited by transfers/second, not by
raw disk throughput. I expect squid is the same.

I'd be interested to see what performance levels other people have
achieved on various off-the-shelf platforms. In terms of
requests/second, bandwidth, and latency, how far can one push
the intel platforms? Is 100 requests/second achievable?