controlling web access by password

From: Josh Kuperman <sar_kuper@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 1999 13:12:01 -0500

I am very new to squid. I recently installed the squid-novm package
that came with RedHat 5.2. I want to accomplish the following three
things. I hope that I can achieve them all with a combination of
the Apache Web Server, Squid, and ipfwadm. I am perfectly willing
to upgrade/update to newer versions as needed. I work in a public library
and want to put Windows95 machines out for anyone to use in our reference
sections. The idea is to guarantee success for the many people who come in
to look up a particular web site. We have many people who simply have a
URL, want to get tax forms, etc.

The three things I need to accomplish are:

1. Prevent games, chat, e-mail, and other non web browsing services for the
reference machines. (We have others that people can sign up to use.)

2. Limit access to my webserver, the local school and government sites, and
a few ready reference sites (e.g., http://www.m-w.com) until a patron logs in.

3. Allow full access to internet after a patron logs in, but limit it to 30
minutes per day.

Can I do that with Squid? Is there someone out there who can help me set it
up?

--
Josh Kuperman        Saratoga Springs Public Library
sar_kuper@sals.edu   49 Henry St