Re: controlling web access by password

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 06 Feb 1999 01:59:22 +0100

Josh Kuperman wrote:

See squid.conf... sections acl and http_access

> 1. Prevent games, chat, e-mail, and other non web browsing services
> for the reference machines. (We have others that people can sign
> up to use.)

Possible, if you can define some method of identifying these services
based on the URL.

> 2. Limit access to my webserver, the local school and government
> sites, and a few ready reference sites (e.g., http://www.m-w.com)
> until a patron logs in.

No problem.

> 3. Allow full access to internet after a patron logs in, but limit
> it to 30 minutes per day.

Little harder, but delay_pools may be a good approximation of what you
want. delay pools can be used to limit a user to 10MB per day if you
like (large initial pool, tiny increment) or to a certain bps rate.

---
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker