Re: Can't start squid, help needed

From: Reuben Farrelly <reuben-squid@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 07 Feb 1999 11:03:15 +1100

Hi,

It's quite possible that your dnsserver program is not where squid expects
it to be. I haven't used Squid 1.x but in squid 2.x there is a section in
the squid.conf file where you specify the location of dnsserver, pinger etc
etc. Does it match up with the real location of your dnsserver program?

Also, why don't you try out the "proper" redhat method by using an RPM to
install squid...I have used RPM sources for a while now and find them to be
a great heap easier than compiling straight from tarball. You can find
great squid RPM's at http://home.earthlink.net/~intrep/linux/ . These ones
set up logrotating under redhat and put things where you'd expect to
generally find them on a redhat system. I found everything to work
completely reliably using these particular RPM's (I believe others are set
up on rhcn.redhat.com also but haven't tried them)

Hope this helps,
Reuben

>I have a linux box (Red Hat 5.2) hook up to an ISDN line.
>
>I Compiled and installed Squid (Version 1, Nov 22 98) but can not
>start squid successfully. I have created all cache dir and I have the
>the error of Fail to start dnsserver (I have chown for everything
>under squid under my name), can someone give me some hint on
>what I should check for.
>

>Thank you very much.
>

>Here is my cache.log after starting squid with squid -D &
>

>C T Leung
>Sisler High School
>Winnipeg

Reuben Farrelly Sunbury, VIC 3429, Australia
reuben@mira.net NIC Handle: RF5822
"The only reason people get lost in thought is because
it's unfamiliar territory." - Claude Marcotte