Re: Sun and Squid Cache

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 07 Feb 1999 15:03:44 +0100

David J N Begley wrote:

> Feb 6 02:51:46 [...] unix: NOTICE: /opt/cwis/cache/dir6: optimization
> changed from TIME to SPACE
>
> That's fully non-interactive - it started about the same time Squid 2.1 and
> the latest Solaris 2.5.1 patch cluster was installed so I'm not sure which one
> is to "blame". :-)

If I am not mistaken Solaris nowdays automatically switches when the
disks are to filled and there is not many full blocks available (block
fragments not counted), whereas an unpatched 2.5.1 always used the
policy configured for the filesystem. I would say that it is a sign of
improvement from Sun rather than something to blaim on someone, as it
now is supposed to handle fragmented filesystems better without the need
of manual tuning to space optimization.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker