ftp problem

From: Lars-Owe Ivarsson <larsowe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 19:03:33 +0100

One of our users tried to download a file from ftp.amd.com. He was successful
when going direct (no cache), but failed with the following message from our
cache:

ftp://ftp.amd.com/pub/cpg/k623d/win95/amdk6upd.exe?submit2=+Accept

The following FTP error was encountered:

     pub/cpg/k623d/win95/amdk6upd.exe?submit2=+Accept: No such file or
directory.

This means that:

    The given URL does not exist, or is not readable.

The user was using Netscape 4.5. We are (still) using ftpget 1.1.20, if it
matters. This happened some while ago, during my vacation, and unfortunately
the file don't seem to be around for testing any more. A colleague of mine
tried to download the same file, and he failed with his usual ftp program
(probably Fetch), but was successful with Netscape 4.0.8 w/o cache. My
colleague also noted that it worked OK if he removed everything from the
question mark and onwards. That part appeared to be superfluous.

Can someone please try to explain to me what's going on at AMD's ftp server?
Is it known to be special in any way? The server is called plan9, but that
doesn't necessarily reflect the OS choosen for it.

Yours,
     Lars-Owe