Re: Proxy authentication and caching

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 09:54:06 +0100

Williams Jon wrote:

> How about Proxy Authentication? For example, if I have three
> proxies chained together and the middle one is doing
> authentication, will the proxy closest to the user serve up
> documents in its cache to an unauthenticated user, or will it not
> cache anything and pass all requests up to the middle?

Requests are cached, and cached copies on the downstream caches can be
sent to an unauthenticated user.

If you want 100% authentication even on cached objects then you need to
run proxy authentication on the first cache the client connects to, and
allow the cache machines to peer without (or with squid.conf configured)
proxy authentication.

Perhaps a cache_peer flag should be added for forwarding proxy
authentication information to a related cache in the same administrative
domain even if proxy authentication was used locally.

---
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker