Re: Transparent Proxy on Linux

From: Miquel van Smoorenburg <list-squid@dont-contact.us>
Date: 14 Feb 1999 00:59:17 +0100

In article <cistron.19990212170932.E1616@attic.vuurwerk.nl>,
Peter van Dijk <peter-squid@attic.vuurwerk.nl> wrote:
>I have found this to only really be a problem with RedHat, as RH seems to stick a 0
>in there at bootup. My slackware machine for example already has a 1 in there.

It depends on how you compiled the kernel. If you compiled it with
IP forwarding this is set to 1, if you compiled it without it is
set to zero. That's the only thing that kernel compile option does-
set the default.

The RFCs (don't know whichone from the top of my head) state that all
_hosts_ MUST have forwarding turned off by default. Only routers should have
IP forwarding enabled.

Yet another example of Slackware brokenness where RedHat and
Debian get it right <ducks> :)

Mike.

--
Indifference will certainly be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Reply to the list or to miquels@cistron.nl (Miquel van Smoorenburg)