RE: Maximum size log files

From: Virgil <virgil@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1999 16:10:45 +1000

> Rotate them often (we do once a week) with a cron job.

If you are running Linux, then use the logrotate setup on the system
already, this
then gets run with cron.daily at 4am.

# cat /etc/logrotate.d/squid

/usr/local/squid/logs/squid.out {
    daily
    rotate 5
    copytruncate
    compress
# This script asks squid to rotate its logs on its own.
# Restarting squid is a long process and it is not worth
# doing it just to rotate logs
    postrotate
      /usr/local/squid/bin/squid -k rotate
    endscript
}

It doesn't compress the access.log and friends though...hmmm...

My access.log ranges from 50M - 70M depending on the day of week, and
store.log about 35M to 40M+. This is consistant on both squid proxies.