Re: Authentication:the same userid from only one station at a time

From: Jonathan Larmour <jlarmour@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 17:16:17 +0000

Gabana Andrea wrote:

> This is my problem. I have two users (let's say A and B) and only A has a valid
> userid. As A is a good friend of B, A tells B his password. They work at different
> workstations. I wish that either A or B can connect in the same moment to Squid.
> Now I can't use delay pools.

While it seems like there might be a way to do it using an external
authenticator, in fact I think it would close to impossible. You can't "log
out" of a squid session.

However, you _can_ enforce that only a particular user can log in (using
basic proxy authentication) from a specific workstation. This only works if
people don't need to be able to use the web on someone else's machine.

It also requires effort to keep up to date as people move around.

You can do this using the proxy_auth and src acl's in your squid.conf.

Jifl

--
Cygnus Solutions, 35 Cambridge Place, Cambridge, UK.  Tel: +44 (1223) 728762
"Women marry hoping their husbands will change, men||Home e-mail: jifl @