RE: Authentication:the same userid from only one station at a time

From: Vincent Romeo <vjrma@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 09:17:54 -0600

The reason I asked is it sounds like what you really need is to restrict
users to logging on to only one station at a time. I don't know how to
address this with '95, but for NT the following would work:

I found NTNAME and LOGOUT at http://www.jsiinc.com/reghack.htm
they also have a utility NTNAME2 that works better in Multidomain
environments (if I remember correctly) see NTNAME.DOC for more info.

I am posting 2 solutions to the single logon problem: The first (which I am
currently using) uses a .cmd file (userlog.cmd) as the logon script. This
file uses NTNAME.EXE to see if the current %username% is already logged on,
and LOGOUT.EXE to log off the second (current) session. Further details on
this type of solution are in NTNAME.DOC.
By the way, the "8332" line in userlog.cmd, allows me to lift the single
logon restriction for specific users by just adding 8332 to the command line
where userlog is called.

The second solution uses logonb.cmd to call logon.vbs which also uses NTNAME
and LOGOUT to accomplish its primary function. logonb is necessary because
of the inability of NT to use WSH scripts directly to process logons. I
have tested this script and it appears to work, but I have yet to implement
it on my network because I don't see any major advantage to switching at
this point. It's primary advantage is that it does a better job of
informing the user why they are not being allowed to complete the logon
process.
If you already have a logon script in .vbs, then you might want to use this
method.

Hope someone finds this useful.