Re: ACLs - a seriously weird thing

From: Jonathan Larmour <jlarmour@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 13:53:42 +0000

rstagg@csc.com wrote:

> * The ACL syntax may have been questionable (I have had netmasks suggested
> to me already) but it certainly worked.

Well, its certainly making sure you have the right syntax otherwise you will
get undefined behaviour, which might work now, and might not in future.

> * I don't use DNSServers - all traffic (except SSL) is pointed to an
> upstream parent on a DMZ.

Aha!!! I bet you've set dns_children to 0. I strongly suggest you increase
it back up to 5 or so - read the comment in squid.conf for why.

dnsservers are slightly misunderstood in general - their sole purpose is to
stop squid blocking. If the thing is that you don't want squid to _cache_
DNS lookups, look at the positive_dns_ttl and negative_dns_ttl lines in
squid.conf, rather than changing the number of dnsservers.

Jifl

--
Cygnus Solutions, 35 Cambridge Place, Cambridge, UK.  Tel: +44 (1223) 728762
"Women marry hoping their husbands will change, men||Home e-mail: jifl @