Re: ACLs - a seriously weird thing

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 1999 00:16:24 +0100

rstagg@csc.com wrote:

> * I don't use DNSServers - all traffic (except SSL) is pointed to an
> upstream parent on a DMZ. Other identically spec'd boxes (without the

A DST type ACL requires Squid to do a DNS lookup to find the IP address.
If you are normally forwarding all traffic to a parent then Squid does
not do a DNS lookup unless it is required by ACL processing.

The only ACL type you can use for matching hostnames without having
Squid make DNS lookups is url_regex.

dstdomain will do DNS lookups when seeing URLs using IP addresses.

dst requires a DNS lookup to find the IP address.

---
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker