2.1RELEASE and squirm on kernel 2.2.1

From: Miles Lott <milos@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 14:38:27 +0000

Admittedly, I have a rather large squirm.patterns file (about 1MB).
But the problem has shown up only with a move to Linux kernel 2.2.1.
the squirm processes consume maximum avail CPU. Since this is a
dual PPro200, they read close to 40% for 5 redirectors in top.
With the prior kernel, 2.0.33 I believe, they would consume a lot of
CPU on startup, but now they seem to maintain this usage pretty
consistently. Do I need to modify anything with respect to file
descriptors and such with the kernel? I mean Squid seems to run
just fine without the redirector...