DNS lookup fails on Solaris 7 (Intel)

From: Angelina Paunovic <angelina@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 16:30:31 +0300 (GMT)

Please be patient to read my mail ...
I believe this could be a Squid bug for Solaris 7 (Intel) ..

I am trying to install Squid Cache version 2.2 on Solaris 7
(SunOS 5.7 i386) and always getting the same message:
"FATAL: ipcache_init: DNS name lookup tests failed"

When I test my dns server it works fine. I configured the dns server to work for dns caching only.
file /etc/name.conf:
options {
        directory "/etc/domain";
};
zone "." {
        type hint;
        file "root.cache";
};
zone "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa." {
        type master;
        file "db.127.0.0";
};

and file /etc/resolv.conf
domain localhost
nameserver 127.0.0.1

so dns server works perfect!

During Squid configuration I found the following lines:
"checking for gethostbyname in -lbind... (cached) no "
"checking for inet_aton in -lresolv... (cached) yes "

It should use -lbind since I am running bind-8.1.2 (shipped with the OS) am right?

I tried to find libbind.a and ... it did not exist at all!
Then I found that Bind-8.1.2 header files do not exist either!

/usr/include/resolv.h is from bind-4.9.x and bind-8.10
and resolv.h for bind-8.1.2 did not exist at all!

PS. This is shame for Sun since they are claiming that from Solaris 7 will not be library conflicts and the header files (for bind-8.1.2) be placed in /usr/include.

So, I compiled and re-istalled bind-8.1.2 and ...
I still have the same problem!!
Compiling is fine, no errors but when I start squid I am getting
the above message.

Now, I do not know where is the problem any more.

Please could you help me .... does Squid run on FreeBSD with
bind-8.1.2?

Regards,
Angelina Paunovic
Internet Admin