Squid 2.2 vs 2.1 ICP compatibility?

From: Jiri A. Randus <Jiri.Randus@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 10:12:03 +0100

Hello folks,

I would like to get some opinions about the following mishap with Squid.
Out of sheer curiousity I installed Squid 2.2DEVEL3 on Friday morning to
found how/whether it works. As it seems, the ICP communication between
my cache (2.2) and the peers (2.1 & 2.0) got somehow broken, because the
peers started to fetch misses massively, resulting in a flood of error
messages about my cache not forwarding requests.

The quick first-glance analysis shows that 2.2 returns ICP_HIT for just
about any URL it has ever heard about; after a TCP_REFRESH request from
the peer it finds out that the URL is stale, yielding TCP_REFRESH_MISS
and an appropriate error message.

Is that an intended behaviour or a misfeature that will disappear as
2.2STABLE makes its way to the caching public? I understand that this
would not be a point in a homogenous Squid 2.2 environment (due to the
ability to retry failed/disallowed requests), in a heterogenous mesh
however this would be an issue. Thanks for any comment about that.

JAR