Re: Actual value IP address?

From: Tilman Schmidt <Tilman.Schmidt@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 09:17:24 +0100

At 16:28 22.02.99 -0500, Theo Van Dinter wrote:
>the string is the decimal representation of the 32bit IP address. dotted
quad notation is easier for us humans to remember than a long decimal number.

>IMHO, resolve libraries accept it, so squid should as well.

I don't agree. First of all, resolve libraries do not accept it,
as can be seen from the reports postet here. Some versions of
the inet_aton function accept it for historical reasons, but it
is clearly outside the specification. And last but not least, that
notation is almost exclusively used to circumvent security
restrictions, so it really shouldn't be encouraged.

--
Tilman Schmidt          E-Mail: Tilman.Schmidt@sema.de (office)
Sema Group Koeln, Germany       tilman@schmidt.bn.uunet.de (private)