Answer! Re: file descriptors for squid using linux 2.2.1

From: Michael Sparks <Michael.Sparks@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 16:47:54 +0000

Hi,

Further to all of this, I've spent a small amount of time specificially
investigating this problem of file descriptors & linux, and have the
"complete" solution to the Linux 2.2.1 FD problem. (if there can be :-)

The solution is detailed at:
    http://wwwcache.ja.net/FAQ/FAQ-2.html

Essentially, you grab 2.2.1, & Alan Cox's ac patches, change
__FD_SETSIZE
in *both* locations in the source trees, and INR_OPEN to however many
filedescriptors you want. If this figure is greater than 8192, then you
need to make sure that NR_FILE is at least half whatever value you set
__FD_SETSIZE, or else you're system is likely to bomb at some point.

Recompile your kernel as normal & reboot.

Once you've done that you need never worry about ulimit, etc again.

NOTE: You must recompile Squid to take full advantage of this!
      I'm also assuming that you only run a cache on the Linux box
      in question.

Fuller details on the web page :-)

Michael.

--
National & Local Web Cache Support        R: G95c
Manchester Computing                      E: Michael.Sparks@mcc.ac.uk