Re: Problem with Squid

From: Jonathan Larmour <jlarmour@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 21:47:40 +0000

Kristian Eide wrote:

> What are the ideal refresh_pattern etc. for minimizing bandwith use? I don't
> care if the clients don't get a "fresh" or "updated" copy of the page, can't
> I just say to squid: Cache as much as possible and then check for updated
> copys every 8. hours (or something like that)??? What should put in
> squid.conf??

Just increase the "min" field of refresh_pattern to 8 hours. But note that
there is a very good chance of stale pages this way.

If you really, really wanted to save bandwidth but with a very, very high
chance of stale pages you could also use the override-expire option and
reload-into-ims options. I wouldn't recommend this really.

Jifl

--
Cygnus Solutions, 35 Cambridge Place, Cambridge, UK.  Tel: +44 (1223) 728762
"Women marry hoping their husbands will change, men||Home e-mail: jifl @