Required machine spec. for 20 clients?

From: Shunsuke Masuda <smasuda@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 08:54:39 +0900

Hello,

I'm planning to set up a web cache box by squid
for 20 clients of Windows95 connected via 10BASE-T ethernet.

Could you please tell me how the box will be?
I mean, how many RAMs are required? or what kind of CPU
is needed?

Currently, I can make one machine dedicated to web caching.
That machine is:
 Pentium 90Mhz
 Ram 16MB
 IDE HD 800MB
 PCI slots are available

Squid will be run on software-updated FreeBSD-3.1 with
its cache directory mounted as async and noatime in order
to gain more performance.

Is it enough to add RAMs to 80MB and use a 2GB SCSI disk with a PCI
SCSI card?
If it is not, I must ask school staffs for more money to assemble
another machine.

This is the first time for me to set up a cache box for
many clients as 20, so that I'd like to know before starting.

These clients are going to be used in a class where most students
are unfamiliar with web browsing. Besides, teachers don't know
Unix as well as what is the "web cache".
According to their plan, those clients will be connected to the
internet via a 128Kbps-ISDN dialup router. I thought a web cache
was needed.

I'm afraid if I have made some mistakes in my English writing.

Thank you,
Shunsuke Masuda