Re: Why does Squid not cache these pages?

From: David J Woolley <djw@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 20:01:35 +0000

> I am having a very hard time figuring out why a great many of the pages
> that my Squid server retrieves are instantly RELEASED. SpecifiCALLY, I've
> used netcat to retrieve www.3com.com and www.slashdot.org

Neither has a last modified date, so both are dynamic pages. The
lack of contents length confirms this. Apache will always give a
contents length for static pages. If it is just the home pages, they
are doing this to force hits to be counted for market research. This
might be true if it happens for all pages (some UK ISPs do this) but
would be anti-social.

HEAD http://www.3com.com/ HTTP/1.0

HEAD http://www.slashdot.org/ HTTP/1.0

HTTP/1.1 200 OK