Re: FTP ASCII/BINARY problem

From: Mogens Kjaer <mk@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 16:35:42 +0100 (MET)

> Mogens Kjaer wrote:
>
> > I don't understand this; why is it different from the user's point
> > of view whether or not his request from netscape goes through squid?

> The default configuration of Squid is binary transfer of text/plain
> content. Some browsers are known to translate text/plain contents when
> you save to disk, and to let the users work around this a separate
> download icon is provided which forces binary transfer of content type
> application/octet-stream.
>
> The default setting of binary text/plain is on popular request to allow
> easy viewing of unknown files.

So why is it saved as ASCII in this case? I think all this changed
when I upgraded to Squid 2.1 ...

If I use a Linux netscape client, the download is binary, if
the client is win95 netscape, the download is ascii. The conversion
(lf to crlf) must take place when squid sends to the client.

Does squid choose between ascii and binary from the OS of the
client? If so, any way of turning this off??

Mogens

--
Mogens Kjaer
Carlsberg Laboratory, Dept. of Chemistry