Re: FTP ASCII/BINARY problem

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 14:05:58 +0100

Mogens Kjaer wrote:

> I don't understand this; why is it different from the user's point
> of view whether or not his request from netscape goes through squid?

When a browser uses FTP without a proxy, the browser decides on what the
filetype is, but when you use a proxy then the proxy decides. FTP does
not include any information on file types.

The default configuration of Squid is binary transfer of text/plain
content. Some browsers are known to translate text/plain contents when
you save to disk, and to let the users work around this a separate
download icon is provided which forces binary transfer of content type
application/octet-stream.

The default setting of binary text/plain is on popular request to allow
easy viewing of unknown files.

---
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker