Re: (another?) Not currently OK to rewrite swap log

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 1999 20:27:42 +0100

Alastair Waddell wrote:

> OK, can anyone estimate for me what size the swap log is likely to be if
> there's 8GB of cached objects on that partitiion? Maybe 300K isn't
> enough to write the swap log and this is causing the problem. Can anyone
> see a way to get objective about this without replacing the RAM at this
> stage?

A lot more than 300K. Each object uses 48 bytes in the swap.state log,
and you need room for two swap.state logs. 8GB of 13.5KB objects is
approximately 30MB of swap log.

Highy recommended action: Configure Squid to use another partition for
the swap.state files. See cache_swap_log in squid.conf. Squid recovers
gracefully if it can't swap out an object, but it is an fatal error if
it can't write to the swap.state file or other log files.

To rebuild a lost swap.state file all you need to do is to start Squid
without a swap.state file. This is however not something I would
recommend doing frequently if you have a large cache.

---
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker