Squid 2.1.2 with Socks4 (Debian runsocks) does not work

From: John Lines <John.Lines@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 1999 13:57:18 +0000

According to the FAQ, and postings I have read in the mailing list archives
I should be able to run Squid through a socks firewall by just starting
it with runsocks

When I try this (using the Debian Squid 2.1.2 and Debian runsocks) I get
messages in my cache.log complaining that it is unable to run the
/usr/lib/squid/dnsserver processes.

When I run squid without the runsocks line it all works (except that I can not
access hosts beyond my firewall. I can use 'runsocks telnet' to access
hosts beyond the firewall. My socks.conf says to go direct for hosts on my
local network, and to 127.0.0.1

If I use an external authenticator (I really want to authenticate against an
LDAP directory) then this works if I do not use socks, but when I do I get