Re: Squid 2.1.2 with Socks4 (Debian runsocks) does not work

From: John Lines <John.Lines@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 10:40:01 +0000

Oleg Makarenko <oleg@elbim.ru> wrote:

> As far as I know you need to patch squid to make it work with runsocks properly.
> There are several problems with squid socksification with nec's (and probably
> others) socks:
>
> 1. SOCKSxxx functions do change errno variable even on success and squid code
> relies on standard (?) behavior (errno should not be changed on successfull call
> for accept() for ex.)
>
> 2. getsockopt() is not socksfied so squid can not get correct connection status
> using it.
>
> 3. probably more...
>
> I have attached small patch that makes my squid work with runsocks but I have
> never dealt with LDAP so you probably need to find why it doesn't work yourself.
>
> I think that it is the same errno problem as with dnsservers and the patch can
> help you with LDAP too.
>
> Good luck,
> Oleg

Thanks - your patches worked, and so does LDAP authentication. There is a
remaining issue with ftp proxying, which I suspect needs to be forced into
being passive only. From a quick look at the code it would seem that someone
has started this. It seems as if a --with-socks configuration flag might
be useful, and a SOCKS flag which could be tested for in the ftp module
to force passive mode.

There is also a performance issue which I dont really understand yet, but which
I suspect is in some squid/socks interaction - I need to do some network
traces to find out what is going on.

        John Lines