Re: Querystring vs. Squid Cacheserver

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 1999 02:03:06 +0100

David J Woolley wrote:

> Compliance with the HTTP 1.1 spec (draft 5) would require a refresh
> pattern of 0 0% 0, or as close to that as is allowed, so that only
> pages with explicit expiry dates don't get revalidated.

Well, your proposal is (almost) the same as no_cache (max age 0) which
surely isn't your intention. Also, I think it is safe to assume that if
a query/cgi returned Last-modified, then this truly is a indication of
how stable the object is. But yes, section 13.9 requires that a LMT
factor of 0 is used on HTTP/1.0 query URLs.

So the HTTP/1.1 compliant refresh pattern for Squid is:
  refresh_pattern \? 0 0% 1440

> Incidentally, the comments in the 2.0P2 squid.conf don't agree with
> the release note, and the < on the expires line should be > or >=.

And neither the squid.conf comments nor the release notes documents the
actual code (there are a lot more to it than what is said)..

Please make a patch to cf.data.pre and send this to
squid-bugs@ircache.net.

---
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker