Re: State of Squid

From: Panagiotis Christias <P.Christias@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 1999 00:59:06 +0200 (EET)

Henrik Nordstrom wrote: [edited]
> Dax Kelson wrote:
>
> > What version of squid should I be using in a production environment?
>
> Currently 2.1.PATCH2 + patches.
>
> > I'm currently running Squid 2.1PATCH2 and I've had many problems. After a
> > few weeks of running it gets really slow in responding even after a
> > restart. I basically have to blow away my cache every so often and that
> > brings it back to normal.
>
> Typical description of a machine which is short on memory. Squids memory
> usage grows as the amount of objects in the cache grows. See the Squid
> FAQ on how to calculate memory requirements.

So, would you consider squid crashes with messages like this:

  client_side.c:419: failed assertion `entry->store_status != STORE_ABORTED'

just the result of lack of memory; Our system is a Sparc Solaris 2.6 with
Squid 2.1p2 and the recommended patches.

ps. the good thing is that at least squid restarts itself automatically :]

--
Panagiotis J. Christias        Network Management Center
P.Christias@noc.ntua.gr        National Technical Univ. of Athens, GREECE