Re: cache/log and cache.log

From: Dancer <dancer@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 09:05:54 +1100

Joel Taqueban wrote:

> I'm a newbie to proxies. I have had recommendations that
> Squid is excellent so I thought of using it with my
> Red Hat Linux: There are some questions though I would
> like to raise:
>
> 1) What's the difference between the log files
> /usr/local/squid/cache/log or swap.state and
> /usr/local/squid/logs/cache.log?
> Which one is really my cache?

None of the above. Your cache is all the _directories_ under
/usr/local/squid/cache/... all those little things with numbers.

> If /usr/local/squid/cache/log or swap.state is my cache, why is
> its size larger than the /usr/local/squid/logs/cache.log?
> (I thought of the other way around since a cache stores
> Internet objects/pages )

swap.state is the cache index.

> How do I view the contents cache/log (swap.state) logfile?
> Tried 'strings swap.state' and 'cat swap.state' but instead
> had a garbled messages on my screen...

It isn't human-readable. It consists of hash-values.

> 2) How do I define in the squid.conf file that it should
> delete pages in the cache which is older than 7 days?
>
> How do I define in the squid.conf file that it should
> delete pages in the cache for particular sites, such as
> News sites (that which keeps on changing everyday)?
> e.g. ABC News, CNN, etc.

http://squid.nlanr.net/Squid/FAQ/FAQ.html is the FAQ. It answers your
questions, for the most part.