Re: Querystring vs. Squid Cacheserver

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 03:09:31 +0100

David J Woolley wrote:

> Sites with adverts tend to be the sorts of sites that people least
> trust to handle cookies and referrer information responsibly.

Note that the cookie does not need to contain any personal / individual
information. For link blocking uses a simple verbose cookie like
"SHOW_ME_THE_MAPS=TRUE" is sufficient, especially if it is a session
cookie with relatively short expiry time.

> Personally I vet and refuse most cookies, although I let referer
> through.

I refuse any cookies wich contains information I do not understand why I
would like to be sent to the site(s).

> although some builds of Lynx treat persistent cookies like session
> ones.)

Most browsers keeps cookies in a separate file, and thus it can easily
be erased by a small wrapper each time starting the browser if you do
not like permanent cookies.

---
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker