Re: Querystring vs. Squid Cacheserver

From: David J Woolley <djw@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 13:59:47 -0000

[This thread got stuck in the mail system somewhere for a long time! ]

> And as on the question of stopping service "abuse" (bypassing ads) there
> are techniques for doing this without affecting cachability. Both
> cookies and/or referer URLs can be used to very effectively stop any
> such "abuses".

Sites with adverts tend to be the sorts of sites that people least
trust to handle cookies and referrer information responsibly. You
can tell from questions on the list that quite a few people run
junkbuster in front of squid (although we don't), and one of the
purposes of this is to delete cookies and referer information. Squid
itself has options for deleting some of this information.

Personally I vet and refuse most cookies, although I let referer
through. (Session cookies might be an acceptable compromise, but I
know of no browser that can selectively block persistent cookies,
although some builds of Lynx treat persistent cookies like session
ones.)

--
David Woolley - Office: David Woolley <djw@bts.co.uk>
BTS             Home: <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>