Optimum sizes for cache directories etc.

From: David Nillesen <dave@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 16:55:01 +1100

    Just curious, is there a FAQ available on optimum amount of first and
second level directories to make?
    Is there a point where its more efficient to have 2 smaller partitions
then 1 large one?
    Our transparent proxy is running about 2 to 2.5 Gb of requests a day
and we currently have 18 Gb of cache space available. I am guessing that
there is probably an optimum point of disk space per throughput to yield maximum
byte hit rates, after which diminishing returns should catch up with you.
Is this true?
    It would be nice to have a little formula where you just drop in
your throughput and it spits out the best harddisk space and configuration
for you.

    Have fun,

    David Nillesen

Northnet Internet Services