Re: Configuring squid never check the source object

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 19:13:09 +0100

assa wrote:

> IF OBJECT_NOT_IN_CACHE .OR. HAS_BEEN_EXPIRED_FROM_CACHE
> 1. GET_THE_REQUESTED_OBJECT_FROM_THE_SOURCE_SITE_THROUGH_PARENT
> 2. STORE_THE_OBJECT_TO_SQUID_CACHE
> 3. SEND_THE_STORED_OBJECT_IN_CACHE_TO_CLIENT_BROWSER
> ELSE
> SEND_THE_STORED_OBJECT_IN_CACHE_TO_CLIENT_BROWSER
> END

> Any one can tell us, how can we configure squid to use the above conditions.

As far as I know this is the default behaviour of any caching server
which can be configured to use a parent (use cache if fresh, else ask
parent). Only exception is that Squid by default bypasses parents when
it is considered to be of no use to use a parent. See prefer_direct and
never_direct in squid.conf on how you can tune this behaviour of Squid.
Which one to select depends on if you MUST use the parent, or if you
would prefer to use the parent for all kinds of requests as long as it
is alive.

If you are asking on how to not expire objects from the cache, then see
the offline_mode squid.conf option.

---
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker