Re: On the fly compression

From: Bertold Kolics <bertold@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 16:58:26 +0100 (MET)

Hi Jesus,

On Tue, 16 Mar 1999, Jesus Cea Avion wrote:

> Since lots of browsers send "Accept-Encoding: gzip" in headers, does
> exist any project to add "on the fly" gzip compression to squid?.

This is an ever-green topic, I think. Look at the archives, you will find
several threads about this.

The main problem is that compression is rather CPU-intensive, for
higher-level caches it is not acceptable at all. IMHO, only leaf cache -
client communication *may* benefit from compression.

Furthermore, lower level compression on a dial-up connection is usually
done. :-| So, it is also possible to get 100 kbps throughput for a
given file with a 33.6 kbps modem as well.

Cheers,
Bertold