Re: On the fly compression

From: Robert Federle <federle@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 20:45:28 +0100

At 16:58 16.03.1999 +0100, you wrote:

Hi Bertold,

>On Tue, 16 Mar 1999, Jesus Cea Avion wrote:
>
>> Since lots of browsers send "Accept-Encoding: gzip" in headers, does
>> exist any project to add "on the fly" gzip compression to squid?.
>
>This is an ever-green topic, I think. Look at the archives, you will find
>several threads about this.
>
>The main problem is that compression is rather CPU-intensive, for
>higher-level caches it is not acceptable at all. IMHO, only leaf cache -
>client communication *may* benefit from compression.
>
>Furthermore, lower level compression on a dial-up connection is usually
>done. :-| So, it is also possible to get 100 kbps throughput for a
>given file with a 33.6 kbps modem as well.
>
>Cheers,
>Bertold

What about a two way strategy? Storing two versions (one compressed and one
uncompressed) of the same object requires some additional disk space,
though it wouldn't require compression to take place for all but the first
high-level cache getting the uncompressed object data. Several checks to
avoid unnecessary compression of JPEG, GIF, ZIP, etc. files would be
helpful. The increased throughput and the reduced amount of traffic is
still an interesting feature as some people still have to pay for their
traffic.

Best regards,
Robert

--
 _Diplom-Informatiker (FH) Robert Federle_______________
| Geschäftsführer Federle EDV GmbH                      |