Re: file handle patch for linux

From: Oskar Pearson <oskar@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 21:38:50 +0200

Hi

> -i too had the same problem trying to increase the number of file
> descriptors > 256....so i just re-built the linux-2.2.2 kernel and
> re-compiled squid. I am running squid on a high-end intel based server
> and could use the new drivers that the 2.2.2 kernel supported. The number
> of filedescriptors by default w/ that kernel is 1024.
>
> -anybody have any expierence in increasing even more the number of
> processes/ file descriptors with that kernel?

Here is my FAQ entry on this :)

I no longer recommend the use of either kernel 2.0 or the older
fdpatch. The newer kernel (when combined with Alan Cox's patches)
allow for more filedescriptors to be opened with less hassle (you can
open up to 1024*1024 fds per process, and this is set with the
'ulimit' command, rather than you having to recompile the kernel.)

Alan's patches are available from:

ftp://ftp.uk.linux.org/pub/linux/alan/2.2/

> > I downloaded filehandle patch as described in FAQ from the site given for
> > kernel 2.0.36 and after applying it I get
> >
> > 1 out of 1 hunks failed--saving rejects to include/linux/wait.h.rej

I missed the start of this thread: is this with kernel 2.0.37 or
something?

Oskar