WPAD

From: Dax Kelson <dkelson@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 22:19:59 -0700 (MST)

The Web Proxy Auto-Discovery Protocol

http://eggplant.rte.microsoft.com/wpad/wpad.txt

The short of it:

Add an A record to your DNS server, wpad.YOURDOMAIN.com which is the same
IP as your web server.

Create your Proxy Auto Config file, and name it "wpad.dat" and stick in
your document root. Make sure the mime type for that file is
application/x-ns-proxy-autoconfig.

I guess some our clients have upgraded to IE5 since we already have many
hits on wpad.dat.

Also, that annoying IE4 behavior where it gets the proxy autoconfig file
on *EVERY* request is gone. You can configure your webserver to send an
Expires header on your "wpad.dat" file and you clients will refresh at
that interval.

Dax Kelson
Internet Connect, Inc.