In need of a solution - silly MS-proxy & proxy-auth

From: Dancer <dancer@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 16:23:53 +1100

Hmm. Stumbling block:

Our next big deployment uses proxy-authentication to authenticate
individual users. However, sixty percent or so of the organisations that
hold those users use MS-proxy, and MS-proxy seems to not present the
proxy-auth challenge back to the user, but instead makes the assumption
that it needs to authenticate _itself_ to the parent.

(Chain:

        User <-> MS-proxy <-> Squid

)

Now...Have I completely failed to understand proxy-authentication in a
hierarchy (My understanding was that the credentials/challenge would be
passed transparently through proxies that did not require
authentication, and then 'consumed' by the first unit in the chain that
did require it) or is MS-proxy Doing The Wrong Thing(tm)?