Re: In need of a solution - silly MS-proxy & proxy-auth

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 09:02:23 +0100

Dancer wrote:

> Now...Have I completely failed to understand proxy-authentication in a
> hierarchy (My understanding was that the credentials/challenge would be
> passed transparently through proxies that did not require
> authentication, and then 'consumed' by the first unit in the chain that
> did require it) or is MS-proxy Doing The Wrong Thing(tm)?

MS-proxy is doing the right thing. Transparently passing the
authentication onwards to other proxies is an Squid extension, and
should be changed to require cache_peer configuration.

From draft-ietf-http-v11-spec-rev-06, section 13.5.1:
   The following HTTP/1.1 headers are hop-by-hop headers:
      . Proxy-Authenticate
      . Proxy-Authorization

---
Henrik Nordstrom