Re: WPAD

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 23:26:09 +0100

John Martin wrote:

> 3. I believe the wpad.dat format allows you to select from multiple PAC
> files. (I have no details)

The purpose of WPAD is to discover the URL to the proxy
autoconfiguration file, not the proxy. wpad.dat is the the name of the
default "proxy configuration file" to be used when the discovery
mechanism does not allow passing a file name. Last time I checked the
layout of this file was kept outside the specification, and javascript
"PAC" files was mentioned as one possible implementation for Netscape
2.0+ browsers. Note that selection of "PAC" language/version is subject
to HTTP negotiation between the HTTP server hosting the "PAC" file and
client.

I think it is reasonable to find the default file name a client-side
configurable parameter in the final specification, with "/wpad.dat" as a
strongly encouraged default setting.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker