round-robin parents with no-query

From: John Martin <jmartin@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 18:23:39 +0100

I'm trying to get two parents configured with round-robin and no-query.
When I configure either on its own, I get SINGLE_PARENT for TCP_MISS,
(which is what I would expect), however, when I add the second, I always
get DIRECT.

Both parents are up and running and accept requests by telnet to port 3128
from the child machine. The version is 2.1.PATCH2; (1.x doesn't work at all
with no-proxy because the parents do not respond to UDP echos on port 7)

The config files look like:

cache_peer x.y.z parent 3128 3130 round-robin no-query
cache_peer a.b.c parent 3128 3130 round-robin no-query

I have tried swapping the order of round-robin and no-query. The problem
also exists when I list two parents period - the child always wants to go
direct for TCP_MISS. Everything else in the config is vanilla except that
http_access is set to acl "all".

As far as I can tell, I have followed the instructions in
http://squid.nlanr.net/Squid/Hierarchy-Tutorial/ correctly.

Any help or ideas appreciated!

Thanks,

John