From: David Mifsud <compu@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 00:35:41 +0200

Hi people,

Lately I was messing around and noticed that netscape
(communicator 4.5 at least) can GUNZIP files on the fly.

I tested it out, and put a couple of pages as .html.gz,
and when I point Netscape straight to it, it just
GUNZIPs it on the fly and shows the HTML.

A tought came to mind:
  If only Squid could compress all files on the fly and
  send them as gzip adding the "Content-Encoding: x-gzip"
  header, this would mean that more data would be allowed
  to pass over slow links(particularly dial-up clients)

Now if I'm not wrong, Netscape sends a header with the
information saying what kind of encodings it accepts,
one of them being gzip, so it could be set to zip only
for clients that accept gzip files.

what do you ppl think??

dave