Re: Concurrent users logged in

From: Jens-S. Voeckler <voeckler@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 11:33:46 +0200

On Mon, 29 Mar 1999, Dancer wrote:

]Joel Taqueban wrote:
]>
]> I have searched the FAQs and still couldn't find my inquiry re
]> "how would i know how many concurrent users are currently logged in to
]> my proxy at a given time". Could someone please help....
]>
]> joel
]
]Since HTTP is stateless the answer would be zero. That's a useless and
]unhelpful answer, however. You _can_ write software to determine this,
]but first you have to define what 'logged in' means.

You could try to 'define' it on TCP level. Look with "netstat -nf inet"
for those lines, where the source host/port matches your cache. The number
of lines in state ESTAB(LISHED) are the number of concurrent clients
connected to your cache. For a nifty output, look at:

        http://statistics.www-cache.dfn.de/Stats/
        (sorry, German only)

And DO NOT worry about TIME_WAITs of up to 60 % of all connection states.

Le deagh dhùrachd,
Dipl.-Ing. Jens-S. Vöckler (voeckler@rvs.uni-hannover.de)
Institute for Computer Networks and Distributed Systems
University of Hanover, Germany; +49 511 762 4726