Re: Concurrent users logged in

From: Graham Somers <gsomers@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 11:53:20 +0200

Try

netstat -na |grep "xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:yyyy" | cut -c45- | cut -d':' -f1 |
sort | uniq | wc -l

where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the ip number of your proxy machine and yyyy is
the port number it runs on.
You may have to fiddle with the cut values to get what you are looking
for.
It is not very accurate but will give you an idea. Hope it helps

Graham

Joel Taqueban wrote:

> With Linux, when 'who' is issued you already know how many users are
> currently logged in. With Squid, how should I determine or know the
> users currently accessing the web via the proxy". Sorry for being
> stubborn but I am a newbie to this thing. hope for your
> understanding...
>
> Dancer wrote:
> >
> > Joel Taqueban wrote:
> > >
> > > I have searched the FAQs and still couldn't find my inquiry re
> > > "how would i know how many concurrent users are currently logged in to
> > > my proxy at a given time". Could someone please help....
> > >
> > > joel
> >
> > Since HTTP is stateless the answer would be zero. That's a useless and
> > unhelpful answer, however. You _can_ write software to determine this,
> > but first you have to define what 'logged in' means.

Graham Somers				Tel:	+263  4 705072
Systems Administrator			Fax:	+263  4 791075
ICON Internet Company			Cell:	+263 11 202083
					Snail:	P.O. Box 4140
						HARARE
						Zimbabwe
 There are only two industries that refer to their customers as "users"