Re: WCCP ?

From: Peter C. Norton <spacey@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 21:29:02 -0500

Considering that the low-end netcache is about $30-40k I know I can build
a more redundant and reliable squid cache farm with a bigip or alteon
switch in front of 10 bsd or linux boxen. I think at that point I could
also exceed it's performance. With the cost of the higher-end netcache I
could put them in 2 seperate locations and use something like distributed
director or 3dns and have network redundancy as well, for the same cost as
a single netcache.

Netapp charges a lot for a good product - and I love their filers.
But for a web cache they charge way too much. Squid can be built on sooo
nicely. But if you're dealing with a company that doesn't have technical
resources then the netapp solutions are probably worth getting.

-Peter

--
Peter C. Norton                      Time comes into it. / Say it.  Say it.
spacey@pobox.com                   | The Universe is made of stories,

                                     Muriel Rukeyser "The Speed of Darkness"