Re: Squid user authentication resources..

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 1999 03:02:52 +0200

Matthew King wrote:

> I was just wondering.. Could anyone who knows of some sites
> about setting up squid so that clients have to be authenticated
> please send them to me..

I am sure there is some sites/pages mentioning this somewhere.. However
I do not have any URLs for you. But setting up authentication it is not
a very task to do once you know what you want to do. Only main
limitation is that you can't use authentication combined with
transparent proxying (this is a limitation of HTTP, not Squid).

First step is to determine which password the users should use when
authenticating them selves. Do you already have a authentication system
in place that you might interface Squid to, or do you plan on using a
separate authentication system for Squid with it's own set of usernames
and passwords?

Second step is to find the appropriate authentication module to Squid
for interfacing with the authentication system you have. Delivered with
Squid is NCSA style passwordfiles (also compatible with standard UNIX
password files) and Windows domain authentication. Others have written
other modules interfacing to systems such as LDAP, RADIUS, PAM and much
more.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker